In 1979, the Lighthouse Board of Directors envisioned the need to acquire additional property for future purposes of expansion. Five adjacent pieces of property to the West of the Lighthouse were purchased on Vine Street and four pieces on 8th Street. This provided slightly over two acres on the city block. On October 13, 1988, ground breaking ceremonies took place. An expansion of 24,000 sq. ft. was completed for classes on September 5, 1989.
The final significant development in the history of the Lighthouse was selling the Lighthouse school and property located at 8th and Sierra Way to the “San Bernardino City Unified School District” for construction of a new elementary school. The following events are noteworthy relevant to the development of our new school at 359 East Parkcenter Circle South in San Bernardino:
• May 4, 2004 – School District expresses interest in purchase of Lighthouse property
• December 12, 2007 – School District makes offer to purchase Lighthouse property
• June 18, 2008 – Lighthouse Board of Directors authorizes sale of Lighthouse property
• June 1, 2009 Lighthouse makes offer to purchase building on Parkcenter Circle South
• February 1, 2010 – Tenant improvements commence
• July 31, 2010 – Tenant improvements conclude
• August 3, 2010 – First day of classes at 359 East Parkcenter Circle South
• March 10, 2011 – Open House and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Our blind students are most grateful to all their friends in the Inland Empire who have made their dreams come true.